Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Wicked Good and Wicked Bad Podcasts

Check out BostonBehindTheScenes.com for an in-depth look at some of Boston's hot spots and local celebrities through podcasting. Although this site fails to produce podcasts on a daily basis, episodes that do appear on the site every month or so are done well.

In September 2006, Boston Behind The Scene's Adam Weiss, a podcast consultant, took listeners on a 30 minute tour of the Samuel Adams Brewery in Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts. Even though I was simply listening, I could still smell the barley, taste the beer and hear the machines brewing.
In a more recent March 2007 episode, Weiss covered the popular Boston Accent in a fifteen minute podcast. I learned about accommodation-something I accuse my mother of every time we get a manicure.

According to Boston College professor of linguistics, M.J. Connolly, accommodation occurs for example when you go overseas to Germany. You'll come back speaking with a German accent. In other words, depending on who you are talking with you will take on their accent unconsciously.

Weiss' interest in the topic and material is evident in his thorough coverage and reporting. BostonBehindTheScenes.com also offers free subscription to their episodes as well as automatic updates to your personal iPod.

A Boston related podcast that I DO NOT recommend is The Wicked Good Podcast. Hosts, Steve and Maureen's "witty observations and wacky misadventures from the heart of New England" are wicked bad. The topics are scattered and uninformative as I caught myself surfing through other podcast options while forcing myself to keep my headphones in my ears.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Daryl,

I'm glad you like my show! I try to make it different form many other podcasts – it isn't about me, but rather the guests I visit.

Since you are a fan, I'll let you know what the next one will be about a few days early: an interview with a staffer for the Boston Marathon.

Hope you enjoy it!

Adam
Boston Behind the Scenes

Anonymous said...

The Wicked Good podcast isn't supposed to be a Boston area guide. It's a couplcast, an audio blog by a couple. Meaning they talk about THEMSELVES and their lives, and they happen to live in the Boston area.

Steve and Maureen have great chemistry and seem like genuinely nice and fun people. Cut them a little slack. If you don't like it, don't listen. No need to slam on them because your expectations for the kind of show it is weren't met. Move along.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with the other Wicked Good Podcast Subscriber. I am a returning fan and regular listener of the Wicked Good Podcast. I believe that Steve and Maureen are not only good people but, they are wildly entertaining.
"Witty Observations" are what they are offering, not education.
You have every right to your opinion but, it needs to be said that Steve and Maureen produce exactly what they offer: A fun and entertaining look at their lives week to week.
Couple casts are not for everyone but, please don't review someone for NOT providing something they never promised you in the first place.

King Devon the Magnificent said...

Accomodation?? OMG I know! I knew there was a name for what I do when I'm hanging around with my ghetto homeboys from Worcester and I start busting out with "Yo homies, I'm feeling that blunt."

Anonymous said...

I have to side with my fellow WGP subscribers here. Forgive the cliche, but don't compare apples with oranges. WGP (as was said) is not meant to be a guide to Boston. To be perfectly honest, I love the way they talk about some of my old haunts. It may not meet the unscientific standards of the review type, but that's why everyone can select which podcasts they listen to.