Saturday, February 16, 2008

Letter to the Editor

With the latest school shootings and suicide at Northern Illinois University this week, the following Letter to the Editor struck me unlike any others that I have recently been following in large and small newspaper publications up and down the East Coast.

Although the Letter in no way directily mentions the school shootings it does discuss suicide, which alone doubled in number among combat-experienced United States Marines from 9 in 2006 to eighteen in 2007, according to figures compiled by the service.

The Letter was published in today's Salem Evening News, located in Beverly, Massachusetts which services readers up and down the North Shore--from Cape Ann to the Lynn Way.

Letter: Think of what you'll be missing

To the editor:

My twin brother picked a lousy time to kill himself.
He died three months before the Red Sox won the World Series. He didn't see the Patriots go 18-0 and almost win another Super Bowl.

This year's Celtics are having their best start in team history. Even the Bruins are playing solid hockey at both ends of the ice. And last week, he missed seeing Boston College, his alma mater, beat my alma mater, Boston University, in overtime at the Beanpot. He would've loved that.

In his obituary notice, mourners were encouraged "in lieu of flowers" to make a donation to Barack Obama's presidential campaign. Unfortunately, because my brother jumped off a cliff five months before the Iowa caucuses began, he didn't see his candidate collect almost 1,000 Democratic delegates by Super Tuesday.


I don't pretend to understand the desperation my brother must have felt as he stood on that ledge and decided to end his life. I'm not a psychologist or a social worker; although ironically, he was. But I can't help but wonder, in those final terrible moments of torment, did my brother consider what he might miss by checking out so soon? A major sporting event, perhaps; a wedding; one of his sons pitching a shutout or getting a promotion; the birth of a grandchild; the next season of "Entourage" or "American Idol."

My brother's funeral was so crowded they actually ran out of Communion wafers. He would've found that both funny and humbling.

His sons and daughter-in-law delivered eulogies that caused huge tears and giant smiles throughout the church. A thousand heads bobbed in unison at the memory of a wonderful father, colleague, hockey coach, mentor and caregiver.

Because we were identical twins, several mourners I'd never met before felt compelled to come up to me and touch my face and hair, even smell me, just so they could have one final remembrance of their friend and therapist.

Later, a couple of people said they believed the "demons" infesting my brother's patients had somehow transferred to his body like something out of a Stephen King novel. There could be no other explanation why such a great man would be driven to suicide. But, I don't believe that for a minute.

I do believe, now more than ever, in the telepathic connection that twins are reported to have. Months before his death, I sensed that something was troubling my brother. I asked him about it once, but he quickly shot me down. I let it go because, after all, he was the trained professional who would surely be able to self-diagnose his own emotional problems.

I curse myself for not pushing harder. For not being there for him. For not letting him know how much I cared for him.

So, my advice here is neither very original nor earth-shattering. First, if someone is special to you, tell them how you feel. The online testimonials to my brother on legacy.com and mem.com are amazingly beautiful in their praise of his life and deeds. It's a shame he'll never get to read them and know what an impact he had on so many people.

Second, if you think a friend or loved one is troubled, encourage them to talk about it. No, make them talk about it. Don't be afraid of appearing too nosy or pushy. You just might find this person really wants someone to share their feelings with, to listen to their subtle cries for help.

Finally — and this is what I wish I had been able to say to my brother — if suicide seems to be the only answer, think about what you might miss when you're gone. What could happen tomorrow, next week or next year that you'd really like to see for yourself? A prom; an anniversary; a great new movie; the first black or woman president; or the Boston Bruins kissing the Stanley Cup.

Paul would have loved that.

PETE G. MARSH
Topsfield


(Editor's note: Pete Marsh's brother, Paul, died in August 2007. He was a licensed social worker with a private practice in Portland, Maine)

2 comments:

Adam McGillen said...

My girlfriend's cousin killed himself in 2006, and I can see in this letter a lot of the stuff her and her family went through after it happened.

It's an unfortunate truth that the sort of outpouring of praise that follows a suicide is the same outpouring that may have been necessary to prevent it.

Scott Brodeur said...

A moving letter to the editor, for sure. Kind of breaks some of the boundaries many editors set up for their newspapers. But because the letter was so well written and rather inspirational in nature, they ran it. I'm glad they did!