Thursday, March 8, 2007

Michael Franti: Yell Fire!

Michael Franti's soulful beats and jump up and down-as you shake your dreads-performance rocked Northampton, Massachusetts' Calvin Theater in the fall and he continues to impress fans and gain new listeners daily throughout the world.
One Step Closer to You, Sweet Little Lies and Light Up Ya Lighter are some of my personal Franti favorites and fall at the top spot on my IPod playlist.

With the release of his album, Yell Fire! in 2006, in conjunction with the release of his DVD, I Know I'm Not Alone, featuring his 2004 trip to Baghdad, the West Bank and Gaza Strip, his popularity has sky rocketed and most importantly his message of peace during wartime has spread like wildfire.


I recently got the chance to check out Michael Franti and Spearhead's release "Yell Fire!" (2006). While I have heard some Spearhead's music in the past and enjoyed a few of their videos, I really had no clue about who they were. The group officially includes lead singer and songwriter Michael Franti, Carl Young (Bass), Dave Shul (Guitar) and Manas Itene (Drums). I came across them being a Hip Hop fan, their music spreads into many different genres though Funk, Reggae, Folk, R & B, Rap and Rock. Michael Franti's introspective singing and lyrics make him a notable artist. My favourite track's on this release are "I Know Im Not Alone", "See You In The Light" and the outstanding "Tolerance". The last of these three is the most powerful to me musically, an exceptionally deep track about love and life and choosing tolerance over violence. I read that Michael Franti was inspired by a trip to Baghdad, the West Bank and Gaza and can tell he really put that experience into his music. I will be truthful in saying I don't feel all of Spearhead's music, but the tracks where they shine for me are the hard hitting introspective and positive one's - music with a message. "Yell Fire!" is a release worth checking out.

Photo: SurfCore.co.uk

No comments: